Essay Boot Camp
Six Weeks. Six Essays.
August 28- October 6
Week #1: Essay Structure
Every essay must reveal two things: an event from the writer’s life, and an emotional journey. Focus topic - Nostalgia Essays
Week #2: Reflective Voice
Using the reflective voice in your essay allows you to reveal the deeper truth of your memories. Focus topic - Relationship Essays
Week #3: Scene Writing for Essays
Scenes are the visceral storytelling moments within your narrative. Learn how to use scenes and mini-scenes to elevate your essays. Focus topic - Expertise Essays
Week #4: Revision Strategies
Learn tools and techniques for transforming that messy first draft into a promising second draft. Focus topic - Personal Growth Essays
Week #5: Where to Sell Your Personal Essays
There’s a large market for personal essays, if you know where to look. Focus topic - Parenting (or Parented) Essays
Week #6: Close Editing
Learn how your language choices and the rhythms of your sentences can heighten tension and illuminate the theme of your essay. Focus topic- Travel essays
HOW WE RUN THE COURSE
The weekend before class starts you will receive an invitation to our private Facebook page, the community center for the class where you can get to know your fellow writers, ask questions, and generate new material with a weekly prompt. Windy and Lisa alternate weeks on the page. Windy runs weeks 1,3 and 5. Lisa runs weeks 2, 4 and 6.
- On Monday we will email you the lesson for the week. We will also post a creative prompt on the FB page to get you writing.
- On Tuesday we post essay examples relating to the topic of the week and also start a discussion.
- On Wednesday you are welcome to share the first paragraph of your essay-in-progress and receive feedback from the whole group. We will post guidelines on how to give feedback and support your fellow writers.
- On Thursdays we have Office Hours. At 11.30 a.m Pacific time Windy or Lisa will be live on the FB page to talk about the topic of the week and answer any questions. Don't worry if you can't make it to Office Hours. All video presentations are recorded and can be viewed anytime during the course.
- On Fridays we address any further questions relating to the week's topic and we check in with our awesome writers!
This is an intensive course, designed to get words on the page. It's also great fun. We love teaching it!
LEVELS OF PARTICIPATION
$245.00 Silver Level
This includes all class lessons, access to the private Essay Writing Boot Camp Facebook page, weekly feedback on opening paragraphs, and all Office Hours discussions.
$475.00 Gold Level (limited to 8 students)
Gold Level includes everything in the Silver Level, plus personal feedback on all six of your finished essays. Each essay will receive a three-step examination (read, review, and critique) with editing notes on structure, details, scene development, reflective voice, dialogue and theme.
To sign up for this class, please send an email expressing your interest to Lisa at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your preferred class choice (reminder: Gold Level is limited to 8 students). You will receive an invoice and welcome letter within 24 hours. All payments will be process through PayPal.
Your Writing Instructors
is the author of Skinner’s Drift and 21 Days to Awaken the Writer Within. Her creative work has been published in Story, Outside and other literary magazines, while her many travel articles, essays and book reviews have been published in the New York Times.
Windy Lynn Harris
is the founder of Market Coaching for Creative Writers and the author of Writing & Selling Short Stories & Personal Essays: The Essential Guide to Getting Your Work Published. She’s had over 70 bylines in literary, women’s, and trade magazines across the US and Canada, including The Literary Review, 34th Parallel, and The Sunlight Press. www.windylynnharris.com.